Sitemeter

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Path problems

We didn’t get for our complete walk today.  The path I usually take was blocked off.  This path, over the last few years, has become an area of dispute.  Concern for the environment is cited as being the reason, in actual fact though, it is, like so many of these things, purely political.

Knowing the whole story and being involved in the issue on a number of levels I find the whole thing extremely silly and frustrating.  As ‘caretaker’ of this IBA and in light of the years of volunteer work I have done for the area, I feel I have as much right as anybody to access this path.  Other’s feel differently.  Today the path, where it joins the park, was blocked with cut brush.  This isn’t the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last.  I have had to draw up my own ‘code of ethic’s’ in this circumstance….that being that if the path isn’t blocked – I’ll use it; if it is – I won’t…and I definitely won’t be the person who ‘unblocks’ it.

That being said….

Oct.14 009

It was a very good ‘Eagle’ day.  These were two of several sitting in the poplar tree by the viewing platform ~ photo taken from the point on the path where I discovered the ‘blockage’.

Oct.14 013

It was very busy out on the flats…which are reappearing, in fact it looked like there are probably gravel bars showing off of the log bay now, but couldn’t get there to confirm that!  I did count close to 200 Bald Eagles out there today though, and probably as many Gulls….all the gulls in the above picture are Glaucous Wing.

Oct.14 007

Back at my end of the path there were these two Eagles, the adult on the left and a juvenile on the right.  There were a couple of Killdeer on the shore as well although not visible in the picture.

Oct.14 014

Just across from the boat launch were Green Wing Teal…these small ducks will be regulars for the winter, they are, however, very spooky and it is difficult to get good (ie. ‘close’) pictures of them…

GWTjuvbest

This picture, NOT taken here on the estuary is of a young one and does show the ‘green wing’ that gives them their name.

Oct.14 016

Also seen in the boat launch today was this dead Chum Salmon, the first of many and is, of course, what draws all the Eagles and Gulls to this area.

As I headed for home, saw a male Hairy Woodpecker and there was a flock of 30 or so Dark Eyed Junco as well as Robins, still feasting on the Dogwood berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment