Sitemeter

Friday, December 10, 2010

Still too wet for ducks….

I’m not even going to post a picture today.  Bands of moisture continue to move through the area, some times light, sometimes heavy and once as hail…

Last night the Chehalis Estuary area – or at least the number of Bald Eagles in the area this year - were featured on Global TV news.  An estimate of 5,000 was given, making this years eagle population the largest single gathering in the country….features like this are of course good for spreading awareness of the importance of the area….features like this also bring visitors to the area to see the phenomenon for themselves…and like I’ve experienced many times, ‘visitors’ are recognized as such and the birds move else where.  That is exactly what had happened today…apart from a few Bushtits by the viewing platform, a grand total of 10 Mallard and a few scattered eagles and gulls there was just nothing….

Where I did see an astounding number of Bald Eagles this morning was in the trees lining the Harrison River just on the northeast side of the Harrison Bridge – of course, being as I was just making a quick run to the local post office – I didn’t have a camera with me – but I’ve never seen eagles in those numbers in that location before.

No comments:

Post a Comment