Sitemeter

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Beautiful Easter Day

What a beautiful sunny warm day we've had for Easter 2013!  Just going to post a few miscellaneous photos that I took today....


We'll start with a gull.....this one was at the log bay this morning and I think this is a Herring Gull. Part of the confusion is the birds are changing from their winter, to their breeding plumage, as if gulls weren't confusing enough!  There were a lot of crows out there this morning too, but more up along the Chehalis River than out on the flats themselves.


This Mourning Cloak Butterfly was posing beautifully, so just had to take it's picture.


This Varied Thrush was also soaking up the sun....as I've mentioned before, these guys will quietly disappear over the next month.


and finally!  some Rufous Hummingbird pictures!  Not great ones but better than nothing.  This female was busy slurping up some breakfast....


and later in the afternoon, this male....of course the light was all wrong so his gorget shows black instead of brilliant red....


and then there are Purple Finch!  Lots of Purple Finch, I counted 18 of them in my yard at one point this afternoon.

Finally....


not a great picture, it was getting darker and it was a long way off but there, almost in the middle of the picture, behind a bush, is a Coyote that was creating quite the ruckus out on the flats tonight.  Other's were answering him from way up on the hillside to the west of the estuary.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, hello.

    My name is Kristen Mitchell and I write for RVwest magazine (which you can find via Google. I don't want this comment to get marked with a link). I found you via your profile interest in RVing. I'd like to do an RV snapshot (5 questions and a photo) with you. I'd also be very interested in having you submit a guest post on birding. You seem to know your stuff :).

    I see you keep your blog current, and that you have some great photos, so I look forward to hearing back from you. Please let me know as soon as possible if you're interested. You can e-mail me at kristen.mitchell@kpimedia.com, or reach me toll free at 1 800 663 8555 ext. 286.

    Thanks so much for your time, I look forward to chatting.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete