Sitemeter

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Another grey day......

Woke up to what seemed like a hopeful day in the weather department, but that didn't last long....


it soon turned grey and showery.  Water levels seem stuck....no difference one way or the other.  That Loon was out there, way out and could hear some Canada Geese but nothing visible.  Speaking of 'hearing' I heard the sweet call of the Swainson's Thrush today, coming from the direction of the park.  That made we realize that I hadn't seen a Varied Thrush for sometime now.  They are one of the species that just quietly disappear when it comes time for them to migrate to their nesting areas.


The only bird I actually saw at the boat launch today was this little female Wilson's Warbler.  Noticed quite a few Robins today, strange that no young ones have shown up yet.  I imagine that should change pretty soon....and speaking of strange....


while I was standing there, I happened to look up and saw this 'lace work' - it is one of our native Red-Osier Dogwood shrubs and I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this!  especially this early in the season.  I have no idea what is creating the lace work, a bug or a caterpillar but something has sure been busy!


Here is a closer look...

No comments:

Post a Comment